Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Tuesday Treasures.

Thanks Melody for hosting this lovely idea. Go over to her site and see everyone's treasures.

The first treasure that came to mind other than family (they are my living treasures) was a china dog that was given to me about 52 years ago by a lady then  aged 96. That would make this dog over a hundred years old!! He stands about 8 inches high.
 I had been visiting her with my Dad when she gave him to me as we were leaving. She also gave me a packet of wafer biscuits........these of course are long gone.
He had been one of a pair given to her on her wedding day. 
I have no further history other that she was married in the UK and emigrated to Australia. Her husband had passed away and she had been alone and my Dad and Mum often visited her when they went to town.




 I don't really know why I have treasured this little dog for such a long time and he came everywhere with me when I moved around. I think he looks sad and lonely for the mate he obviously lost some time ago. What stories could he tell if he could talk!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Heather. I spotted your blog name on the list of Tuesday Treasures posters, so popped on over to have a look. I love your blog!! You make such beautiful things! And I love all your Christmas ornaments - what a fantastic collection. I am now a follower - it's great to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely story, Heather:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your canine treasure and he has a lovely history too.
    your cake walk blocks are really gorgeous, so is your other fnsi projects. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a lovely story Heather ,he does look sad,lovely treasure.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is a sweetie isn't he and your story makes him really special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely treasure with a rich history ,so lovely you have him !

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet erson to give you something from her wedding day. He is very special. Tracee xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a very sweet story. That doggie would be VERY old in "dog years" ;-) I also have some sweet memories of some of my parents' friends from my childhood - one of them gave me a sweet little miniature china cup and saucer; sadly it got broken about 10 years ago, but I treasured it, I'm sure, like your little doggie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely... he does look a bit sad doesn't he.... a lovely treasure to move around with you...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is a lovely treasure, sometimes a gift from someone special is a treasure even if it only fits in the palm of your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is very cute indeed, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad he's got you especially as he lost his little mate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He does look sad....no wonder you could never leave him behind and I am glad. A great little treasure. I loved seeing him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonjour from France.

    I just popped by from Melodys' to wish you Bonne Annee and to admire your treasure.

    He's a splendid lad, and obviously been given a good and loving home.

    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment. I love hearing from you.