Tuesday, 12 November 2013

Tuesday's Treasure

Time to play Tuesday's Treasure with Melody from The House on the Side of the Hill blog.


Growing up on a farm we were always surrounded by animals. Now, as it was a cane farm and not another type, what I am talking about is cats and dogs. Lots of cats and a good number of dogs. It seems that whenever there were kittens or puppies born us kids quickly got in and staked a claim on a new pet !
I remember at one stage there were 23 cats . . . . . yes that's right . . . . 23 . . . . and a more modest number of dogs . . . . just 9 !
Everywhere one looked it seemed a cat was lounging about, but the dogs were less visable following my father out into the fields for most of the day. Must have cost my parents a fortune to feed them all, but I can say that cane fields are full of mice and other things and I am sure they supplimented their diets from time to time ! I know it's not the norm now, but it was then and cats and dogs came and went as they liked !
I guess we had tolerant parents as I was known for bringing just about anything home if I felt it needed a new home or didn't have one. I saved numerous cats and birds and either nursed them back to health or showed the correct amount of sorrow when they died. I would round up my little sisters and have a proper funeral. Yes I do think I had very tolerant parents indeed ! 


These days I only have two cats and one dog and hubby keeps a few chooks.


Where would we be without our lovely pets. Thanks again to Melody for hosting and thanks for visiting and there's not a stitch in sight!

7 comments:

  1. I always knew you were a nice person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute is your dog with his eyes closed! As for those little puppies, I want one! Oh no, what am I saying. They could chew up things just like my Molly! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post Heather thankyou for sharing.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your cat photo, looks like it is posing!! The cattle dogs are just the best aren't they!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must confess to being a cat person and yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dog photo...what a sweetie!! xx debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. τι χαριτωμένα ζωάκια,
    χαιρετίσματα από Ελλάδα !!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and comment. I love hearing from you.